Sunday, March 24, 2013

Muscari macrocarpum 'Golden Fragrance'

Flower buds
Maturing flower stem

Muscari macrocarpum
'Golden Fragrance'

















I bought these delightful bulbs in the local market in a packet - almost certainly of Dutch origin as so many of them are. The name read Muscari 'Golden Fragrance'...research has lead me to add the species name although I cannot find the cultivar name in any information I have to hand. Please correct me if I am wrong.

M. macrocarpum is one of thirty species and is ideal for the long hot summers of Italy (its dormancy period). It is a fascinating perennial, from the dull, almost uninteresting colour of the buds, opening its tubular, strongly fragrant yellow flowers in spring. the foliage is somewhat lax, linear and greyish-green.  

No comments:

Post a Comment