Sunday, February 10, 2013

Beneath the Canopy of Prunus 'Kanzan'

'...beneath the canopy of Prunus 'Kanzan', Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon', a marginal plant, made a wonderful carpet.' Extract from The Haphazard Gardener'

©Penelope Hellyer
Planted in the shade, the Houttynia may not have grown as tall or flowered as prolifically but after a few years it spread its brightly variegated leaves in hues of green, pale yellow and red, intermingling with Tellima grandiflora and Arisarum proboscideum - the Mouse Plant.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1781764131

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I should risk Houttynia as it's quite invasive and my garden isn't big, but I do like the scent from its leaves when they're touched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my memory serves me correctly it is 'surface' rooted. In other words you can easily 'weed out' any that misbehaved (if you have the time). I was surprised it made such a thicket here in the dry soil beneath the canopy.

    ReplyDelete